Thursday, June 27, 2013

26/06/2013 - Day 17

Type: Non-Running
HR Zone: N/A
Schedule: Strength and flexibility workout
Actual: Easy 28 min run (2.64 miles)

I want to use Wednesdays as a strength workout day but haven't got back into the routine of using it that way.  So this week I went for a short, easy run as I didn't do one on Monday.  Most of my body was aching, either from my active session in goal on Monday or from the intervals I ran yesterday, but nothing was hurting in a bad way.  I decided to tape up my right ankle for support to see if it would help with the pains I felt on my run last Sunday.  So after watching a couple of YouTube clips I taped it up, warmed up and set off.
The first mile as done at the correct intensity (less than 158 bpm) but my pace was up by about 1.5 minutes a mile!  This is the first real improvement I've seen since using a constructive training plan so I allowed myself a moment of satisfaction and had a big grin on my face.  Then I realise I'd picked up the pace as I wasn't concentrating and had to get a grip!!!
The second mile was tricky.  The muscle aches/soreness were still with me but no I had that electric/tingly feeling up the inside of my right shin.  While it wasn't causing me agonising pain it was causing my leg to feel weak every time my foot hit the floor.  Thankfully I got round and immediately iced my legs.  Strange one that I will be looking up.
Anyway, all done and another day under my belt!

Today's Lesson: Remember that I am doing more running than I have ever done before and I will feel new aches and pains and need to work out what they are.

Mental note: get a gait analysis done ASAP as I think my teenage shin splints has become proper adult ones and I need new trainers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment